The island of Lanzarote is situated in the northeast of the Canarian Archipeligo 1000km from the Iberian Peninsula and 140 km from the African coast. It has a surface area of 845.93 km. and a population of 135.000 inhabitants. To the north of the island are the smaller islands of La Graciosa, Alegranza, Montaña Clara, Roque del Este and Roque del Oeste. The volcanic eruptions that occurred in Lanzarote between 1730–1736, the last being in 1824 left a quarter of the island covered beneath a thick blanket of lava and ashes. The National Park of Timanfaya where the most important eruptions occurred comprises a surface area of 51km2. A visit is practically obligatory.
On 7th December 1993 Lanzarote was declared Reserva de Biosfera by UNESCO.
Lanzarote enjoys stable temperatures throughout the entire year. Average temperature being 21ºc in Winte and 24ºc in Summer.
|January||21 Cº||14 Cº||18 Cº|
|February||20 Cº||13 Cº||18 Cº|
|March||24 Cº||14 Cº||19 Cº|
|April||25 Cº||15 Cº||19 Cº|
|May||26 Cº||16 Cº||19 Cº|
|June||28 Cº||19 Cº||20 Cº|
|July||34 Cº||23 Cº||21 Cº|
|August||36 Cº||25 Cº||21 Cº|
|September||35 Cº||24 Cº||21 Cº|
|October||30 Cº||22 Cº||20 Cº|
|November||26 Cº||18 Cº||19 Cº|
|December||22 Cº||15 Cº||18 Cº|
The excellent climatic conditions of Lanzarote throughout the year along withtheir landscape characteristics allow all those who look for more than just Sunand beach enjoy many and varied activities in the nature. You can practice Golf, scuba diving, fishing of height, Windsurfing, kitesurfing, cycling, canoeing, Trekking, paragliding, Mountain Biking, swimming, sailing, surfing, caving, etc… The island also has several Wellness & Spa centers.
- Return to Playa Blanca Handbike. (January)
- RC44 Cup Islas Canarias Puerto Calero. (February-March)
- Nautical days Marina Rubicon. (May)
- The three islands Quadrathlon. (May-June)
- IRONMAN Lanzarote. (May-June)
- PWA Costa Teguise Championship of the World Windsurfing Freestyle. (June-July)
- Kiteboard Championship of Spain. (July)
- Pto height fishing Championship. Calero. (September)
- Marina Rubicón Marlin Cup. (September)
- Crossing to swim Lanzarote la Graciosa. (September)
- Puerto Calero Global Cup. (October)
- Trophy Cesar Manrique Pto. Calero. (October)
- The Santa Surf Pro. (October-November)
- Marathon city of Arrecife. (November-December)
- Puerto Calero Match Race trophy. (November-December)
Touristic centres in Lanzarote
- Fundación Cesar Manrique.
- Mirador del Rio.
- Jameos del Agua.
- The Green cave.
- Cactus garden.
- Timanfaya National Park.
- Parque Natural de los Volcanes.
- Monument to the peasant.
- Castillo de San José.
Points of interest
- Salinas de Janubio.
- Charco de Los Clicos.
- Los Hervideros.
- Beaches of Papagayo.
- La Geria.
- Carnaval de Arrecife. (February)
- Carnival of Puerto del Carmen. (February)
- Romería de Los Dolores and craft fair. (September)
- Festival de Música de Canarias. (January-February.
- Cycle of concerts in Cueva de Los Verdes. (January-May)
- Coast Music Festival.
- Visual Lanzarote Music Festival. (October)